I wrote this outline on February 19, 2003. I am not sure if I ever shared it in a teaching/preaching setting. However, I wanted to record it for posterity. I have clarified some of the points so that it makes more sense!
Between Life and Living
- Life is that which we have.
- Living is that which we do.
- This is one of the most distinctive characteristics of the Christian experience. Faith in Jesus moves us from just having life to living the life that God has given.
There are two types of life:
1. Physical Life
- All have creatures that breath have this. There is no purpose. It is merely a fact.
2. Spiritual Life
- This is better than mere physical life. The question is now that you are a live what will you do? This is where learning how to live comes in.
What is Necessary for living?
- Where is it found?
- Why is it necessary?
For the disciple of Jesus it is found in a relationship with him.
Without a relationship with Jesus we cannot live up to God’s will and purpose for our lives.
- How do you get it?
- How do you keep it?
Desire comes from experiencing the Gospel’s transforming power. (Romans 1:16)
We keep our desire by reminding ourselves of the Gospel and holding onto the truth that it proclaims–that we are now new creations because of Jesus. (2 Cor. 5:17)