I read this today in Psalm 103.
6 The Lord works righteousness
and justice for all who are oppressed.
7 He made known his ways to Moses,
his acts to the people of Israel.
8 The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
9 He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
10 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
13 As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.
After I read this I realized that all of what David was saying here were wonderfully clear reasons for my soul to bless the Lord. One reason for each of the verse.
1. God is righteous and works justice for those who are oppressed. (v. 7)
2. God has made his way known. He has communicated with us. We should listen (v. 8)
3. God’s love is steadfast, therefore, we can have confidence in his mercy and grace. (v. 9)
4. God’s anger against sin will not last forever. (v. 7)
5. God does not deal with me according to my sin or iniquities. He knows I would not survive if he did. (v. 10)
6. God’s love cannot be quantified, it can only be experienced. It should cause awe within us. (v. 11)
7. God’s ability to forgive is beyond measure. (v. 12)
I love this song by Casting Crowns. It is a wonderful description of the truth this verse!